The Kubota Gardens are a local treasure – a beautiful garden created from five acres of logged off swamp land. The garden was the vision and life work of Fujitaro Kubota. He bought the five acres in 1927. Fujitaro was a self-taught gardener that wanted to highlight the beauty of the Northwest in the style of Japanese gardens. During the 1940’s his family was interned at Camp Minidoka in Idaho – and after the war he and his sons reclaimed the garden and continued to expand the beauty. In 1972 the Japanese Government awarded Fujitaro Kubota the rare honor of the Fifth Class Order of the Sacred Treasure – “for his achievements in his adopted country, for introducing and building respect for Japanese Gardening in this area.” Fujitaro died in 1973 at age 94.